This simple but delicious kale prep was a hit alongside Nom Nom Paleo's Slow Cooker Kalua Pig - I mean, everyone knows how well pork and apples go together, right? Using pre-chopped kale in this makes this recipe even faster, and sauteing the ingredients in chicken broth instead of oil means reduced fat and calories. Whip it up and let me know what you think!
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and sliced
- 2 medium apples, cored and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 t. apple cider vinegar
- 1 (10-oz.) bag cleaned Tuscan kale (or equivalent amount, stemmed & chopped)
- Low-sodium chicken broth
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and a bit of chicken broth and cook, stirring occasionally until the onion is tender, about 4 minutes (add more broth as needed to keep the onions from burning). Add apples, vinegar, and a bit more broth; cover and cook until apples are just tender, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, if you're using whole kale, remove and discard tough stems from kale and roughly chop the leaves into large pieces. Add kale and even more broth to the pan, stir and cook, covered, until kale is tender, about 5-7 minutes longer.